Home » Blog » Upgrade Your Instant Ramen With Spinach
Posted on March 27, 2020
Upgrade Your Instant Ramen With Spinach
March 26th is National Spinach Day and we decided to celebrate by giving you a fun way to upgrade one particular meal item you probably have in your cupboard with some great, leafy (or frozen) spinach! Ready to take your old college favorite of instant Ramen and make it into a classy adult meal? Check out this recipe by Fine Cooking.
Ramen Noodle Soup with Spinach and Poached Eggs
At this point, you’re probably sick of making large meals. Why not try something new with an old standby?
For this recipe you will need:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups lower-salt chicken broth
- 1 smashed clove of garlic
- 2 thin slices of ginger
- Kosher salt
- 6 ounces instant ramen noodles (typically two packs; you will not need the included seasoning packets)
- 1 ounce (1 packed cup) baby spinach
- 2 large eggs
- Sriracha or other hot sauce
- Asian sesame oil
Tips for creating this dish: Some who have created this meal in the past urge you to use the Sriracha and sesame oil as it’s what creates the deep flavors. However, feel free to substitute out other ingredients for what you have available.
For example, if you do not have fresh ginger, you can substitute with ground ginger, however, the flavor will not be as strong. You can also substitute fresh garlic out with crushed garlic, just be mindful you may need to taste test to ensure your flavors are just as potent. Granted, if your family prefers one flavor over the other, feel free to make those adjustments. A recipe is a suggestion–not the rule book!
Now that you’ve gathered all your ingredients, begin!
- In a pot, heat the oil over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion and stir occasionally, until translucent.
- Add the chicken broth, garlic, ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the noodles and spinach and cook, stirring to break apart the noodles, until they sink and the spinach is wilted.
- Crack the eggs into the pot, cover, and turn off the heat.
- Let sit until the whites have set.
- Divide between two bowls, top with Sriracha, sesame oil, and serve.
Ramen Fast Facts While It Boils
You can make this meal in under 20 minutes which is fantastic! But while your water boils, take a look at these Ramen fast facts!
- There is a museum dedicated to Ramen Noodles.
- When it was first created in Japan in 1958, Ramen was considered a luxury item and incredibly expensive.
- Ramen Noodles have been eaten in space!
- You don’t have to cook the noodles. You can crush them up and eat them on salads or with the seasoning on its own as a snack.
By now, your water is ready, and your family is hungry! We hope this recipe helps you and your family celebrate National Spinach Day with a fun take on an easy meal!
- Chef's View (1)
- Cocktails (10)
- Fine Dining (65)
- Food Safety (2)