Home » Blog » What Meat Dishes Go Best With Beer?
Posted on June 15, 2022
What Meat Dishes Go Best With Beer?
There are plenty of reasons to like beer. It wouldn’t be crazy to think that drinking beer is a social activity in and of itself. People get together to drink beer and talk, but why? What’s so good about this crisp beverage? Depending on your favorite kind of beer, it could be because it’s fizzy in your mouth, it’s filling, and it can help you wash down any kind of food. There are many reasons to enjoy drinking beer, but are there any dishes that pair well with beer? How about meat dishes?
For some people, beer doesn’t make it easy to enjoy food. It has a taste that takes over your mouth and stays. What if there were foods that you can eat that only taste better when you eat them with a beer in hand? We think we have several meat dishes that will pair well with your favorite beer.
Does Beer Make It Hard to Taste Food?
Beer is a type of alcoholic beverage. Alcohol in general affects our taste buds, which means having any high amount of alcohol can diminish our sense of taste. This means if you start drinking before you get your food and keep drinking, you may not taste just how good your food is by the time it gets to you.
This is specifically because alcohol gets in the way of our ability to properly absorb nutrients like vitamin B complex, vitamin A, and zinc. These are important vitamins that directly affect your taste buds. When they’re not properly absorbed, your saliva and taste buds undergo changes to their functionality.
Alcohol literally, though temporarily, hurts your ability to taste.
What Kinds of Meat Go Best With Beer?
Now, what does this all mean for beer? Beer doesn’t have the highest alcoholic content compared to hard liquors, but if you’re a heavy drinker who loves beer, this may be an issue. If you want to taste more of your food, you need something that has a strong taste that can stand up to beer, or even better, absorb or mix with it.
Meat is the perfect food for beers. Different cuts absorb liquids, have a strong basic taste, and if need be, they pair well with spices and seasonings. Beer can’t wash away its taste, and if paired with the right beer, they can amplify each other’s tastes. We can tell you which meats taste good with what kind of beers.
- Steaks and IPAs
- Pork and amber ales
- Fish and brown ales
- Seafood and porters
- Game meat and porters
- Shellfish and stouts
What Meat Dishes Should Go With Beer?
Now that you know which meats and beers go well together, which of these can you get at Kevin’s? We have several dishes that you can pair with your favorite beers.
- 12oz. Strip Steak: This juicy steak comes with white truffle butter, potato puree, and asparagus. Like any steak, it goes perfectly with IPAs.
- Steak Frites: If you’re looking for a drier steak to go with your IPAs, this dry-rubbed coulotte steak comes with french fries, steak sauce, and asparagus.
- Grilled Bone-In Pork Chop: This pork chop comes with apple hot honey glaze, bacon, potato puree, and caulilini to go with a nice amber ale.
- Ginger & Soy Glazed Salmon: Salmon is one of the most popular fish you can get, and ours comes with crispy rice noodles, basmati rice, and snap peas. It’ll taste even better with a porter beer.
- Shrimp & Scallop Sambuca: This dish combines two popular shellfish with pappardelle pasta and Sambuca blush sauce. The best dish to go with brown ales, porters, and stouts.
- Pan-Roasted Halibut: A lesser-known fish that may become your favorite after you eat it with our orange and rhubarb sauce, basmati rice, and snap peas. Pair with a brown ale, and it may surprise how much you enjoy the taste.
Make Kevin’s Restaurant Your Next Drinking Stop
The perfect place to eat good food and drink good beer is Kevin’s Restaurant. We have the menu items to set your taste buds on fire no matter how much beer you drink. To make sure you get a table, make a reservation online today.
- Chef's View (1)
- Cocktails (10)
- Fine Dining (65)
- Food Safety (2)